Cherokee Rock Village (Sand Rock)
Land Manager: Cherokee County
Area Rep: Leann Hill; firstname.lastname@example.org
Cherokee Rock Village is located in Centre, Alabama above beautiful Weiss Lake. Climbers have been visiting the area for many years. In the early days, CRV (then known as Sandrock) was a free for all and suffered from continuous vandalism. In 2010, the county cleaned the park up, building infrastructure including bathrooms, a pavilion, playgrounds and designated camping sites, leading to better management and a decrease in vandalism. SCC led a graffiti removal effort in 2015, removing almost all of the graffiti in the park. SCC and Cherokee Rock Village continue to maintain a great partnership in maintaining the climbing and stewardship of the area.
Cherokee Rock Village daily use fees: $5 per carload, $10 for buses and passenger vans. Everyone must check in at the gate station located at the entrance of the park.
What to Expect
Climbers will find a variety of sport climbing, bouldering and traditional climbing. The climbing is a series of tall boulders strewn along the side of the mountain–gritty and sloped with wild huecos and water grooves to boot. CRV has great climbing for the beginner to thrashing hardcore boulders.
- Please be respectful of others.
- All activities in this park are at your own risk.
- Park speed limit is 10 mph.
- Quiet hours are 8 pm to 8 am.
- ATV riding is not allowed.
- Dispose of all garbage in designated containers.
- Pets must be on a leash at all times.
- Please clean up after your pet.
- Camp in designated areas only.
- Alcohol is not allowed.
- No fires under the rocks.
- No tree cutting or undergrowth removal.
- All vandalism will be prosecuted.
More information can be found on the Cherokee County website.
Cherokee Rock Village has great tent and RV camping opportunities, right outside the climbing area and near the pavilion and bathrooms. Camping rates are $10 per carload or $20 per bus, passenger van, RV. Find more information on camping here.
Sandrock climbing can be found in the Dixie Cragger’s Atlas.