PLEASE OBSERVE ALL ACCESS NOTES. It is imperative that all visitors to the property drive slowly through the neighborhood, only enter during open hours, and be respectful of our neighbors.
Land Manager: Southeastern Climbers Coalition
Native Lands: ᎠᎳᎫᏪᏘᏱ Tsalaguwetiyi (Cherokee, East) (from Native-lands.ca)
Area Rep: Harley Mathews, email@example.com, (256)312-2875
SCC purchased Hospital Boulders in 2012, immediately opening it to the public for climbing. Just north of Gadsden, the Hospital Boulders is a place everyone can enjoy. The boulder field is located a few hundred feet from the parking lot with a very easy hike. At the entrance, you will find a gate with various locks. The combination lock will open the gate for access. Please lock the gate behind you when you enter and when you leave.
Scroll to the bottom of the page for the gate code form.
Hospital Boulders is on Google Maps.
What to Expect
Hospital Boulders boasts 200+ high quality sandstone boulder problems, and even some short traditional, sport and top rope climbs on the west brow of Lookout Mountain.
Access is offered in accordance with the Alabama Recreational Use Statute (Alabama Code 35-15-1 et seq.). If you choose to enter this area you are voluntarily choosing to assume all risk of personal injury and/or property loss. Numerous hazards exist on the property, some of which may not be obvious or apparent. These hazards include, but not limited to: steep open cliffs; slippery surfaces; steep and natural walkways, trails, and roadways; loose unstable rocks; falling objects; the possible failure of fixed climbing anchors; and the conduct of other users.
- Be a good neighbor: Please make a good impression by driving slowly, smiling and being respectful to our neighbors.
- This also includes No Trespassing. Unfortunately, the SCC did not have the opportunity to purchase the whole boulder field. If you see ‘End SCC Property” signs you are leaving SCC property and are subject to trespassing law. The SCC does not own the Lock & Key Boulder or the Farmer Dyno.
- Please maintain a low profile by keeping noise to a minimum so as not to disturb the local community.
- Hours: This property is only open from dawn til dusk. No overnight camping or visitation. Please observe these hours to ensure that we are respectful of our neighbors.
- Dogs: Dogs are welcome, but please keep them on a leash.
- Leave No Trace: Keep this area beautiful and clean. Clean up after yourselves, your peers, and your pets. Lead by example and pick it up on the first pass.
No camping at Hospital Boulders. Beautiful Noccalula Falls is less than 5 minutes away and has fantastic camping facilities.
Get a PDF of the 2019 Sickness Comp Guidebook here!