Cooper Roberts on Blue
Danielle Wilson throws for a hold
Steven Farmer works his way out the stellar roof of "Inspired by an Idiot"
An afternoon session on "Sugar"
Emergency Contact Numbers:
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
Walker County Emergency Services
***THE MAIN ROAD TO ROCKTOWN IS OPEN AGAIN! HUGE thanks to the Georgia DNR for fixing the road so quickly! (updated 4/21/2016)***
Update on Climbing pass (updated Jan 2012)
You now have to have a pass to climb at Rocktown. They are available at the Georgia DNR's website here:
Note, Rocktown is CLOSED for hunting during some dates in the Fall. Click here for seasonal hunting closure dates.
Rocktown is located on Pigeon Mountain, near Lafayette, Georgia and home to stellar sandstone bouldering. Climbers from around the world have flocked to this winter destination which many call "the Fountainbleau of the South". The SCC and the Atlanta Climbing Club have been sponsoring trail days over the last few years to help improve the area. The area has seen increased use over the years and the local ranger has several request to reduce impacts. Do your part and help keep Rocktown a great place for everyone to enjoy.
For questions about the area, contact our Rocktown area rep, Mark Siegrist: email@example.com
Recommended Boulder Problems
- The Scoop (V3)
- Croc Block (V5)
- Lab Rats (V5)
- Tunnel Vision (V5)
- Skin Graft (V6)
- Bermuda Triangle (V7)
- The Orb (V8)
- Treat the land with respect, like don't swing on the saplings or litter; stay on the beaten path.
Read Minimum Impact in the Boulderfields
- Participate at trail days
- Car pool to minimize cars in the parking lot.
- Be very courteous and cooperative when dealing with the rangers
- Dogs should be on a leash at all times
- Speed limit on all roads in the WMA is 20 MPH
- Camping is allowed in designated areas only. There is a camping area at the base of the mountain or past the turn off to the rocktown trailhead. No camping is allowed in the parking area or along the road to the trailhead and definitely no camping in the boulderfield or along the rocktown trail.
- Encourage others to do these things and don't tolerate any behavior from others that poses the slightest threat to access.
- No drugs or alcohol.
- Padding must be used on trees when top-roping or rappelling.
- No cutting of live vegetation especially at the base of boulders.
- The placement of any bolt requires written permission from The Department of Natural Resources. It is a felony to place a bolt at Lost Wall or Rock Town. You will be charged with "Defacement of Government Property".
- Camping is free, but the maximum stay is 2 weeks. If you feel you must stay longer, please leave the area and go to Sandrock for a week and then you may return.
Anvil Crash Pad Rentals, Located in Chattanooga, TN
for crash pad rentals, check out:
Related SCC Articles
Rock Town Climbers Speeding
Minimum Impact flier for Boulderfields
Copyright © by The Southeastern Climbers Coalition All Right Reserved.
Published on: 2012-01-20 (11108 reads)[ Go Back ]